out the 'Real' World"
It was intended
to be just another windsurfing holiday, it ended up being a pure adrenaline rush: When
Fiona van Ammers entered her first Aloha Classic in 2000, she didnīt win one single heat.
But she had a damned good story to tell (read it here!). Today Fiona loves to sail in masthigh waves. And
still pays for her windsurfing expenses out of her own pocket.
- date of birth: 03-08-1976
- nationality: American
- profession: Civil Engineer
- sponsors: MY SELF!! Until very recently, I
have worked a 9 to 5 job (well, 7-4 ish) Oh yea, and Ezzy and Quattro help out :-)
- When AND where did you learn how to
- During my second year at university, I joined the CAL
Sailing Club. I would ride my bike down to the
Berkeley Marina, where I would use the club equipment.
(Just thinking about it makes me cold.)
- favorite move: standard magazine-shot girly hand drag ... (NOT), for real: Aerials,
what do you train right now: I love big waves. But recently I realized that my waveriding is far
beyond my jumping. So I promised myself this summer to jump, jump, jump.
You know what, I really have no one favourite spot. I
love them all!
- favorite windsurfing spot:
Led Zeplin, The Cure
- best music:
The Ex President
- last book youīve read:
- best film: Shrek, I really loved Princess Fiona
- best food: Pumpkin Pancakes from Fat Apples, Berkeley, CA.
- best drink: water
Keith Taboul, Nat Gill, Levi Siver, Nori Hubbs
- Who are your models in windsurfing?
- What causes you fear? childbearth
- What makes you laugh? Sex in the City
- With whom would you like to spend an
- Toss up between Brad Pitt and Martin Luther King junior.
- Windsurfing - better than sex? Why?
- Hmmmm ... it depends if you love him more than
windsurfing, and thatīs pretty rare.
- If you already know it - what do you like
about the "windgirls"-mag?
- Itīs a great place for girls to learn not only about
windsurfing, but to be inspired about what they can do, and where they can go with it!
- Three tips for GIRLS who want to
- 1) Spend the money. Buy
THE BEST gear you can afford. This usually
means, it will be light and durable.
- 2) Patience. Give
yourself a break when you have a bad day.
- 3) Just do it!
- What does windsurfing mean to you?
- Windsurfing is a way for me to completely shut out the