charity & charm
Some time ago Natascha
Pertsmann decided to swim 7,4 kilometers to raise money for an HIV/AIDS charity, despite a
run-in with a shark and near-hypothermia. She is one of not too many women in the sport to
perform radical forward looping as well as competitive neck-to-neck racing. She holds the
African speed record (33,13 knots) and impressed as a model for Sports Illustrated South
Africa. Once she described windsurfing like this: "Driven by passion and the infinite
pursuit of that defining moment where man, water and wind move together in the perfect
dance. This is our world and in these moments nothing else exists." Welcome to
- date of birth:
South African (althought German magazine SURF recently misinterpreted her German sounding
- profession: Designer
Cabrinha, Tableview, Neal Pryde, Reef, Oakley
- When AND where did you learn how to
windsurf? 1985, Pretoria, South Africa
- favorite move: forward loop
what do you train right now: back loop
Cape Town, Platboom
- favorite windsurfing spot:
Red Hot Chili Peppers
- best music:
What I loved
- last book you´ve read:
- best film: Life is beautiful
- best food: Sushi
- best drink: Dry Champagne
Daida and Iballa. Not only are they super talented, they are
fantastic people, but then all the girls are.
- Who are your models in windsurfing?
- What causes you fear? life
- What makes you laugh? life
- With whom would you like to spend an
- To chat about life and learn about forgiveness, Nelson
- Windsurfing - better than sex? Why?
- Now, everthing has it´s time and place, and I´m
never worried about my next sex move.
- The famous 3 things you choose to take with
you to a lonely island?
- Besides my windsurfer? Mmmm, my camera, cd player
and sun block.
- If you already know it - what do you
like about the "windgirls"-mag?
- It´s great that there is something out there to recognise
the girls and their talent.
- Three tips for GIRLS who want to
- 1) persevere
- 2) try find someone to learn with you
- 3) try to start in really relaxed conditions
- What does windsurfing mean to you? challenge, freedom and dreams.